We have so many talented entrepreneurs right here in our own backyard (not literally, but you get the point!) This holiday season I suggest we all look to local businesses for gifts. To help you get started, I put together a list of some of my favourites for you. Have a browse, share with your friends and let me know what your favourite local shops are too! Some of these are local to me (and many of you are not), but I'm positive these will give you some great ideas so please make sure to check out your local markets and clothing boutiques for beautiful, thoughtful presents your loved ones will enjoy.
For the kids
* Toy Maker of Lunenburg has been making quality wooden toys since 1979 and value natural wooden toys over plastic disposable toys for creative play. These toys are beautiful and we are sure there's something here for the little ones on your list. Think classic toy train or flip flop! They even make custom toys.
* Neezies kids' clothes Of course I recommend Neezies! Quality, locally and ethically made clothing for your infants and toddlers. Check out the crawling pants for added comfort! Your littles will just LOVE them! Plus, with every purchase, you are helping make a difference in the lives of Women and Children across the Maritimes through Neezies' partnership with the IWK Foundation.
For the ones with the Sweet Tooth
* Chapel Cove Chocolate is a New Glasgow chocolatier, who produces custom gourmet chocolate bars and novelty items for retail, tourism, conventions, weddings and special events. They can customize labels and even help organizations fund raise! Bonus: All of their products are gluten free and most are soy free.
For the health guru
* Arbonne Nutrition Package from Lindsay Corbin. Lindsay is a passionate local boss mama who has her BSc and Masters in Nutrition and over 20 years of education and experience. Ask her anything about healthy living and she'll recommend the best products and programs! (She can also help with makeup and skin care.)
For teens and fashionistas
*Check out your local boutiques like Moments, Ekim Fashion or Wildflower
* Car detailing or new winter tires from Highland Ford and Nissan
* Snowblower from Proudfoot Motors
* Beautycounter products from Julie Chandler. Julie is a local boss babe and mom of two with a passion for clean beauty. Give her a shout and she'll recommend the perfect products for you and your loved ones!
* Gift card to Morgan Webb Photography Morgan offers lifestyle and studio photography across the Maritimes. This talented mama will beautifully capture all the details of your happiest moments.
*Goodie bag or gift card from Chelsea Laine Salon and Colour Bar or their favourite local salon or spa
For the Foodie on your list
* Sunny Cove Honey offers delicious, pure tasting honey from hives carefully placed along the coast of rural Nova Scotia. This local family works together to produce unfiltered, unpasteurized honey and products from the hive. Perfect gifts for the foodie on your list.
* A chicken or turkey from D. Barker Farms D Barker Farms is a Nova Scotia licensed grower of free range chickens and turkeys. Their poultry is free of antibiotics and has no added hormones.
*Pastasalt is a local female run business providing beautiful and delicious charcuterie boards! Order one for your friend, your parents, or yourself this holiday season. You won't be disappointed! With gathering limits decreasing in parts of the province, Erin will create boards suitable for groups of five or even mini boards for two.
* Gift card to their favourite restaurant - treat them to lovely meal that they don't have to cook or clean up after!
For the reader on your list
* A new book from local author Cynthia MacLean or a subscription to your local newspaper or magazine...might I suggest At Home on the North Shore
For those who don't need anything
*How about a donation in their name to a charitable organization like the SPCA, United Way, IWK Foundation or your local Food Bank?
These are just some of the amazing local businesses around that I am familiar with. I could keep going and going, but I will end with another reminder to check out your local markets and clothing boutiques for great, thoughtful presents for your loved ones.
Wishing you all happy and safe shopping this holiday season!
Buying local is a win-win; good for the business and the consumer. When you buy local you are the reason for someone’s happy dance and that is a great feeling! What’s more is that you are also contributing to your community’s sustainable growth and that’s another reason for a happy dance! Simply put, buying locally benefits the environment, the economy and your community.
Yesterday we announced our partnership with the IWK Foundation and now we are sharing with you an amazing story...a happy healthy Neezies boy is where he is today because of the exceptional care he had at the IWK. Experiences like Weston's are exactly why we chose to partner with the IWK Foundation. Please read on as Weston's mother graciously shared their inspirational story below:
"Weston was born at 31 weeks of age. At 30 weeks I was rushed from Truro to the IWK with suspected early labour. Luckily the staff at the IWK were able to hold off his delivery for another 6 days, however he still arrived way too early. When he was born, we found out the reason for his early arrival was that he had type C Trachea Esophageal Fistula - Esophageal Atresia. Basically meaning he had an upper esophagus and a lower but a missing area in the middle, leaving him unable to swallow. The bottom esophagus also was connected to his trachea leaving the trachea weakened and not completely normal. He also suffers from Vacteryl with abnormalities in his thumb, ribs, vertebrae, esophagus and trachea - but you would never know it!
At 2 days of age and 3.5 lbs, our wonderful surgeons performed a rare surgery which I think everyone agrees, gave him the opportunity to have a fairly normal life. Between the NICU and his specialists, we were only in the hospital less than 2 months, surprising everyone.
Today, Wes leads a normal life, dealing with “stickies” and moderate-severe tracheomalacia. He is happy as can be. Currently we work with 4 (or more depending on the year) specialists from the IWK who continue to provide Weston the amazing quality of life that he has. Our experience there is always positive and the staff and doctors go above and beyond in their care and over experience for my little ones. My husband and I are eternally grateful to everyone at the IWK."
Above: Weston, happy and healthy, sharing a cuddle with his mom and sister.
Photos by Morgan Webb Photography
Neezies has proudly partnered with the IWK Foundation! Every Neezies purchase will help make a difference in the lives of children and their families across the Maritimes.
Children are at the heart of what we do and being a Maritime-based company, we can't think of a better way to give back to our community than to support our local children's hospital. Everyone in the Maritimes has some kind of connection to the IWK and the amazing work they do. I am happy to contribute to an organization that has been there for so many of our customers and their families. Our children mean the world to us so my husband and I appreciate how meaningful the IWK's services are to parents and how truly vital the IWK's research is to enhancing the lives of its patients in every way possible.
Comfort is key. We provide comfort for littles through the avenue of clothing and accessories, with our Canadian made crawling pants with built-in knee pads, comfy t-shirts, hoodies and dresses. The IWK Foundation is focused on providing state of the art care for littles, to be more comfortable during their treatment, and to have better long term health.
Every single sale benefits the IWK!
You can help us make a difference! For every purchase of Neezies products a percentage of the sale is donated to the IWK Foundation. Our donations will help buy state of the art equipment, such as heart monitors, incubators and dialysis machines, and help fund expert pediatrics and research programs.
Thank you in advance for helping make a difference.
President & Owner
Photos by Morgan Webb Photography
Welcome to my blog! After a lot of requests for Neezies news and baby style sharing, I now have a place to do just that, and of course no blog would be complete without some laugh out loud funnies...I’ll have those, too!
So, here’s my first post…a little about Neezies and a bit about me.
I hope you enjoy!
Style. Comfort. Neezies.
It means so much to me that customers love their Neezies, from the oh-so-soft fabric to the fun colours and styles. I love receiving feedback on our products! The most common praise is for the built-in knee pads in the crawling pants. I hear many stories about little ones who have worn holes through the knees of their old pants, have bruises, carpet burns, and scrapes on their knees from cruising around from surface to surface, as little movers do, and how Neezies pants help eliminate these irritations. As a parent of three little ones, I know all too well how much they tumble. That is why I started making Neezies in the first place…plain and simple; to help our littles be more comfortable.
I’m Emma, the Owner and Founder of Neezies Inc. I’m a Nova Scotian “momtrepreneur” with a passion for practical fashion, among other things of course (my family, friends, writing, skiing, travelling, etc.). I created Neezies to provide comfortable, Canadian-made specialty clothing for infants and toddlers. Don’t get me wrong, I love the look of pink frilly dresses and button up shirts as much as the next girl, but they are just not practical for everyday baby wear. Babies should be comfortable, every day!
When our first child was learning to crawl, my husband and I quickly realized it was incredibly hard on her little knees and her pants. I wanted to help make this stage in her life more comfortable, but couldn’t find an adequate solution anywhere. Of course that is when I started sewing knee pads into her pants. What a difference that made! Almost everywhere we went with her people asked me about her pants with knee pads…where did I get them? Where could they get them? I started making them for people.
With a background in communications, public relations and marketing, I had a lot to learn about the fashion industry before creating this business. I spent all my "free time" researching the infant and toddler clothing industry…fabrics, trends, styles…you name it, I studied it! What did I find? Not only were we missing comfortable crawling pants, there was a lack of Canadian-made, practical, everyday clothing for children, specifically for busy infants and toddlers. I was determined to fill the void.
I made several Neezies designs and soon joined forces with a local manufacture. It was important to me, being a small town, Maritime girl, that I keep my company as local as possible so I was thrilled when our local manufacture jumped on board to produce Neezies! After several prototypes, the Neezies pants were completed and we were on to shirts and hoodies to complete the outfits. Fast forward to today...we continue to design and develop specialty infant and toddler wear for our wonderful customers and are loving every minute of it.
We currently offer three styles of pants: the Diva Legging, the Trendy Lounge Pant and the Classic Pant…and yes, they all have knee pads. We also have a variety of coordinating tops from long and short sleeve t-shirts to light-weight hoodies, perfect for layering. (Right now we’re working on a brand new exciting design…details coming soon!) All of our clothing is made with our ultra-soft cotton blend for comfort and durability. As a parent/grandparent/guardian, comfort and safety are top priorities when choosing clothes for our babies so rest assured because we feel the same way at Neezies. In fact, none of our pieces feature zippers, ties, buttons or glitter designs. Did I mention they are also washer/dryer friendly? They are!
When you buy Neezies, not only are you getting your littles cute, comfy outfits, you are also buying local: supporting jobs here in Nova Scotia; and now we've partnered with the IWK Foundation so every purchase goes towards helping children and their families across the Maritimes!
So, now you know the Neezies story. Clothing perfect for play and comfy enough to sleep in!
Until next time…..